Here at The DogSmith we recognize the importance of having a well behaved dog and making your pets part of the family. But we also understand how busy our clients are so we designed the DogSmith “Drop-In” Class just for you. “Drop-In” enrollment allows you to register and pay for a course while allowing you the flexibility to complete the classes over a 5 month period by attending any of a number of scheduled “drop-in” sessions that fit into your schedule. You will be given a “drop-in” class card that describes the necessary skills required for the course you have enrolled in and provides a record of competency level achieved for each skill. (Courses denoted by (*) are eligible for “Drop-In” enrollment.
The DogSmith Puppy Classes – For Dogs Under 6 months of age (6 weeks in duration)
- Need to Learn Some Manners? Small Paw Etiquette & AKC S.T.A.R Puppy® Program
A beginner class for puppies We could all use a little help with our manners, right? This 6-week puppy class for dogs less than 6 months old covers the essentials of family life, house-training, crate training, puppy biting, basic leash skills and simple obedience cues like sit, down, come, stay, no jumping and watch me. The classes are fun and help build your pup’s confidence while socializing it to different dogs and people. We incorporate games and lots of fun into these classes. Be proud of your well-mannered furry family member. In some DogSmith locations this class is taught by an AKC approved CGC Evaluator so when your puppy completes the program it is eligible to enroll in the AKC S.T.A.R Puppy® Program, an exciting incentive program designed to get you and your puppy off to the best start possible. Call to reserve your spot today!
- Start Them Out Right! FREE Puppy Socialization Class. Get your puppy off to the best start possible.
Dog Behavior experts agree, proper puppy socialization is essential to the development of your dog and can prevent many future problems. Our 1-hour FREE Puppy class is for dogs less than 6 months old and will keep you in stitches watching your puppy interact with its classmates. Be sure to bring your camera. You will also see how much fun dog training is as your pup learns critical new skills through play. The class is full of games and exercises plus you will establish some important dog training skills to build on. Space is limited so call today before it’s too late!
The DogSmith Pet Dog Training Classes – For Dogs over 6 months of age (8 weeks in duration)
- Teenagers Need Manners Too! *Teen Dog Etiquette & AKC S.T.A.R Puppy® Program.For teen dogs that missed puppy training
You may wake up one day to discover that your wonderful, cuddly puppy has turned into a teenage monster, especially if it missed our puppy socialization class. This 8-week curriculum is designed for dogs ranging from 6 to 8 months old that missed the opportunity to attend a puppy class. This is a perfect course for your teen dog that has no obedience, no manners around people and doesn’t play well with other dogs. Lessons are fun for both you and your dog. By using games in the learning process we help you teach your dog to be a well-mannered family member. In some DogSmith locations this class is taught by an AKC approved CGC Evaluator so when your dog completes the program it is eligible to enroll in the AKC S.T.A.R Puppy® Program, an exciting incentive program designed to get you and your puppy off to the best start possible. Secure your reservation today before your teen-dog drives you nuts!
- It’s Never Too Late! *Pet Dog Etiquette For puppies that graduated from a puppy class or alternative training program
This is our 8-week curriculum designed for dogs older than 6 months old who have already graduated from a puppy class. This course focuses on reinforcing the puppy behaviors already learned to make sure they stick. We work on increasing the duration of behaviors like sit and stay and we increase the distance your dog will perform skills such as sit, down, come, stay, walk nicely, stand and leave it. You will really be able to impress your friends and family with your polite and well-mannered four legged family member. Classes are incredibly fun for you and your dog and help increase the bond you share. Call today before its too late.
- Show-off Your Canine Good Citizen! *DogSmith Solutions – Earn Your Dog’s AKC Canine Good Citizen Certificate.
You know your dog is well mannered but make it official and show-off to your friends and family. Teach your dog canine citizenship with our comprehensive 8-week curriculum that culminates with the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. The AKC CGC Program provides an excellent foundation for training in other fun activities such as Rally, Obedience, and Agility and teaches your best friend to be a well-mannered dog that is a joy to live with. When your dog passes the CGC test, the DogSmith evaluator will give you the official documentation to send to the AKC for your certificate and to register your dog’s accomplishment. Sign-up today and get started.
The DogSmith Specialty Skills Classes – (6 weeks)
- The DogSmith “Sniff and Search” Classes. This six week class meets for one hour and is limited to 6 dogs. Your dog will learn fun games to search for food. This popular dog sport enables you to wear your dog out mentally so it is ideal for active dogs, dogs with physical limitations or anyone who just wants to play a fun game with their dog. Dogs learn to systematically search boxes and other objects for hidden food. The level of difficultly increases each week and it is fascinating to watch the dogs catch scent and make a find. Dogs and parents give this class a very high rating for fun!
- BAH-HUMBUG! Grumpy Dog Teach your Grumpy Dog Dog-on-Dog Etiquette. Got a grump in the family? Then don’t delay getting into our Grumpy Dog class designed for dogs that don’t reliably get along with other dogs or struggle with their focus in distracting environments. This class is not for aggressive dogs. For your peace of mind and that of your fellow students, we may have to assess the suitability of your dog prior to attending class. If your dog has a bite history with other dogs or people then please register for a private consultation. In some cases it may be necessary to do some private training prior to joining the Grumpy Dog group class. Sign up now and start getting the grump out of your pooch.
- Off With Their Leash! Off-Leash Etiquette When you’ve decided to take your dog’s training to the next level, our Off-Leash Etiquette class is tailor made for you. This 6-week course focuses on advanced handling for the more serious dog owner who wants the freedom and confidence of being able to control your dog at a distance, off-leash. We will focus on off-leash behaviors like out-of-sight stay, distance recall and off-leash heeling. We also teach you, the dog trainer, how to introduce distance into your cues and how to build and proof strong obedience skills. Few things are more satisfying than working with your dog reliably at a distance.
- Step Back to the Curb! Snap-Back Recall For ultimate safety, this 6-week course covers just one skill, a really reliable recall. Gain peace of mind knowing that in an emergency situation your dog will return to you when asked. We begin by teaching the dog a solid response to its name. We will then build on the recall behavior by playing lots of games and reinforcing fast returns to you. As your dog’s recall strengthens we practice the recall amidst distractions and then we proof the behavior for reliability. You may only need your recall once but when you need it, it has to work. Register now.
- Take Back the Leash! Walk Nicely Are you tired of your dog pulling and dragging you around by its leash, but you don’t need or want a formal, obedience arena style heel? Our Walk-Nicely course is just the thing. This 6-week program focuses on just one skill, walking nicely on a leash. This is a very important skill for you and your dog to master. Dogs that cannot walk nicely on a leash tend to get left at home missing out on the huge benefits of daily exercise and spending quality time with you. Teach your dog this crucial skill so you can both enjoy long and relaxed walks together. Register now.
- Calling All Hams Just for Fun Clicks 4 Tricks If your dog is a natural performer and you like dazzling your friends and family with amazing tricks like spin, play dead, high-five, and take a bow, then our Clicks-4-Tricks course is for you. This fast moving and fun clicker-based class is for owners who want to develop new tricks and behaviors with their dogs. and is a great for any dog. We teach you the skills you need to teach your dog so the sky is the limit in terms of what you can teach your dog to do. Register now.
- DogSmith “Just for Fun Agility”(available at limited DogSmith locations) “Just for Fun” agility focuses on FUN! Fun with jumps, tunnels, and weave poles and other backyard equipment everyone can locate. This class is a great start if you are not sure about your level of commitment to agility or your dog’s suitability for the sport.
- “Just for Fun” Rally focuses on FUN! Fun for you and your dog while you learn to navigate a course at a brisk, continuous pace, with numbered signs indicating different exercises to perform. Some of the exercises you will work on are Sit-Down-Sit, Straight Figure Eight, Send Over Jump, Pivot 180° Right, Spiral Right with Dog on the Outside, Side Step Right, and Drop on Recall. Rally is a great way to continue working with your dog at a fun sport. This 6 week class is a great start to learning about this fun sport and it culminates with a fun Rally competition in week 6.
- Therapy Dog Preparation
Become a Registered Therapy Dog Team: Does your dog love people? Do you want to spend quality time with your dog while helping others in need? Therapy dog teams are well trained and registered dogs and handlers who visit hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and other places to provide comfort and companionship to those in need. Join us for a 6 week long class that will prepare your obedient and friendly dog for the therapy dog registration test. Teach your dog how to work in a sometimes chaotic hospital environment; learn how to best support your partner during visits. This course will cover all test items included on most therapy dog tests. Contact us today about a free screener to help determine your eligibility for this class.
One Hour Specialty Lessons
- Skills Tune-Up 1 Hour Specialty Lesson Are your pooch’s skills getting a little rusty? Maybe becoming a little sloppy or inconsistent? Then you need our Skills Tune-Up session. The DogSmith Skills Tune-Up is a quick 1 hour refresher in a group environment. Just the thing to sharpen up any skills you want! The DogSmith Just For Fun Classes! – (6 weeks)
One Hour Puppy Orientation Workshop Our New Puppy Orientation workshop will teach you how to house train your puppy in the fastest, easiest and most humane way. We will explore how a dog learns when to eliminate, at what age he has the control to avoid frequent accidents, what cleaning solutions work best on the messes, how his feeding schedule can impact his potty training, and much more. We will also talk about other common puppy/adolescent issues such as crating, nipping, chewing, jumping and barking.