Smith; (noun) One who expertly works at something specified. Often used in combination blacksmith, locksmith, wordsmith, DogSmith
Frequently Asked Questions About The DogSmith Pet Business Franchise
Do you offer financing?
- Why should I join The DogSmith Dog Training & Pet Care Franchise?
There are literally dozens of reasons to join The DogSmith Dog Training & Pet Care Franchise. For starters, opening your own DogSmith dog training and pet care franchise allows you to capitalize on the leading Dog Training & Pet Care business model in the United States. If you're looking for a national company providing a unique opportunity in a recession-resistant multi-billion dollar industry, then this is it. The DogSmith provides you with the perfect opportunity to abandon your cubicle and join other entrepreneurs doing what you love for a living. The DogSmith leadership team has over 40 years of business management experience committed to supporting you in pursuit of your goals.
With The DogSmith you will be part of a dynamic team of professionals where you will learn not only to be a dog trainer and canine behavior counselor but you will also learn how to operate a comprehensive pet care business. As a DogSmith you will have access to the most progressive training methods, curriculums, behavior analysis tool kits, franchise library knowledge base and our ongoing education and support systems. Our franchise system also provides you with a proprietary marketing system, DogSmith Brand Standards manual, proprietary marketing collateral and assistance with sales, training and financial management. One of the most valuable aspects of joining The DogSmith is you will have access to our registered marks, logos, and tag lines. You will be provided with proprietary operational and business systems, methods, software and programs at shared costs which greatly reduce your overhead expenses while giving you leading edge technical advantages over your competition.
Other key advantages to the DogSmith Franchise are that your franchise is scalable so you will never be limited to being just self-employed. By optimizing the opportunities for multiple income streams and leveraging the resources of your employees and contractors you become a true business owner.
Finally, by joining The DogSmith you hit the ground running avoiding the expensive and frustrating trial and error period that most individual new businesses go through. From our strategic and tactical marketing plan to our startup pack containing everything you need to begin marketing your business from the 'get go', you greatly minimize the cost and time between opening and profitability.
- How much capital do I need to invest into a DogSmith Franchise?
The initial cost is $15,000. You may wonder why the cost to buy a DogSmith Franchise is so much less than other business opportunities. It is because we are so confident in the DogSmith system that we have taken a long-term view and don't believe that saddling a new business with a large debt is the best way to start a business. In addition, to help more animal lovers start and succeed in their own business we have stretched the advanced training to coincide with a DogSmith's growing experience so you get the advanced training when you need it. Our advanced training is given via webinars, webcasts, teleconferences and short, intensive seminars at the DogSmith Training Center. Though many of these advanced programs are free to DogSmith Franchise Owners some may require a nominal fee to cover the costs of producing them. For the initial fee you will get your own exclusive DogSmith territory, 40 hours of DogSmith Dog Training theory and Business fundamentals delivered via webinars, teleconferences, email and webcasts, 70 hours packed into 7 days of on-site DogSmith Dog Training Mechanics at the DogSmith National Training Center, 20 hours of Business Acumen & Real Knowledge (BARK) prior to coming to the Training Center which focuses on the administrative and logistical requirements of starting your own business and access to a variety of subscription services that, if purchasing on your own, would cost you many times what the cost to you will be as a DogSmith Franchise Owner (toll free numbers, websites, email accounts, customer management software etc.). Your initial fee also provides you with access to ongoing business, finance and marketing education and support via teleconferences, webinars & DogSmith webcasts. Finally, we continue our support to DogSmith Franchise Owners through periodic DogSmith conventions and onsite training workshops. Any additional investment will depend on your personal situation and the way you structure your business. Many franchise systems will advertise their fee but you will soon discover that in addition to their initial fee you must also pay for the training and other additional fees before you can launch your business.
- Is my Franchise exclusive for my city?
All franchisees are granted an exclusive franchise territory with an approximate population of 150,000. The zip codes for your territory are carefully selected to ensure they are the best option for you given where you are located.
- What resources are available to me once I open my franchise?
Once you've opened your DogSmith business you have access to all of the information you will need to make your business a success, from business operations to advanced animal learning theory and behavior. Our extensive DogSmith Franchise Library and knowledge base contain a huge body of business and dog training information that is at your disposal 24/7. The DogSmith staff and your DogSmith colleagues also provide a broad and deep body of professional knowledge and experience. They are always available to consult with you on any business, dog training, behavior counseling or pet care support you may need. We also have the technology in place to optimize your time and energy to increase your productivity. These systems include our zip code driven website and toll free number system, an online store for purchasing marketing and operational supplies, preferred vendor agreements to help you keep expenses down and profitability up, accountability teleconferences to help you stay on track with your marketing and business growth, periodic dog training and pet care workshops, monthly informational newsletter, proprietary tool kits that provide information packages on all aspects of your business, scheduled training webcasts, cooperative advertising agreements to give you the biggest bang for your marketing buck and internet based customer relationship management and reservation software.
We also provide you with our strategic Marketing plan and tactical marketing calendar. The Marketing plan is reviewed and updated annually to ensure we stay ahead of our competition. The DogSmith provides ongoing support in training, via 2 monthly operational teleconferences, ongoing educational webinars, monthly accountability calls (weekly for the first three months after your training), annual onsite workshops, peer group support, business coaching, and phone and email support as you need. You will also be provided with purchasing and fulfillment support for your promotional needs and to make sure you stay current with business 'best practices' you will have access to ongoing and advanced business and animal training education.
The backbone of our commitment to keep DogSmith professional at the cutting edge of the dynamic dog training industry is our continuing education program. This exclusive DogSmith program guides you through our advanced dog training certification levels until you reach Master DogSmith.
- How long does it take to become a DogSmith Franchisee?
Depending on how prepared and committed you are, the process can take from 4 to 16 weeks after you have submitted a franchise application form.
- What types of revenue streams will I have with my DogSmith Franchise?
On the revenue side, you have several streams of income to forecast:
Board & Train
Latch Key Training
DogSmith Behavior Counseling
In Home Pet Care
Home alone visits
Daily lunch & Dinner breaks
Pet Waste Cleanup
Doggie Day Care
Pet Waste Cleanup Services
Retail sales of pet waste stations and supplies
In addition to the above revenue streams The DogSmith offers a full range of holistic pet care products & Nutrition and a retail line of training equipment and supplies.
- Can I apply for a Franchise online?
The initial request for information can be submitted on line.
- What are the steps to becoming a DogSmith?
Depending on your time-frame and personal situation, the steps to becoming a DogSmith are generally as follows after we receive your initial request:
- Initial Phone Call: The DogSmith Franchise Director will explain The DogSmith training and business philosophy to you and answer any of your questions.
- DogSmith Franchise Profile and Application: Our profile and application form is designed to help us get to know you and will provide us with information on your background, experience and skills. This information indicates whether you will potentially qualify for a DogSmith Franchise. This form also gives us the opportunity to understand your goals and concerns.
- Second Phone Interview: A second discussion will take place with our Franchise Director to review your Application form and your suitability to become a DogSmith.
- Franchise Disclosure: We will deliver and review the Franchise Documents with you. The Franchise Disclosure Document addresses the legal and technical aspects of owning a DogSmith business. We will also provide you with information about the DogSmith Franchise Services head office and your relationship as an independent business owner.
- Due Diligence: By talking to current DogSmith Franchise Owners you will gain a valuable firsthand perspective on our business. You will be welcome to speak with as many DogSmiths as you like. We also invite you to visit the DogSmith Training Center and learn more about our training program and philosophy and observe The DogSmith Dog Training methods.
- Territory Selection: Using demographic data, we will work with you to determine the exact boundaries of your exclusive DogSmith territory.
- Systems: You will learn more about the tools and techniques The DogSmith uses to operate their business, from marketing to finances. Our Franchise Director will explain the training program and the comprehensive pre-work required prior to DogSmith training.
- Decision and Acceptance: After the above steps there will be an approval interview with the founder, Niki Tudge. By then you will know if The DogSmith is the right business for your future, and we will know if you are right for the DogSmith.
The DogSmith offers limited financing to qualified candidates.
What are the DogSmith royalties?
The monthly DogSmith royalty fee is 7% of monthly gross income.
How much will I spend on advertising?
The amount you invest in advertising depends on how aggressively you want to grow your business but you should plan on about $500 per month for local advertising. You will also contribute 2% of your gross income to the national advertising fund.
How do I find a location?
When starting a franchise with The DogSmith, our franchise team will help you select a location and determine its suitability.
How long is the training?
The initial training consists of approximately 20 hours of guided study from your home, 80 hours of theory and practical skills provided to you at The DogSmith National Training Center and an additional 20 hours via webcasts and our DogSmith proprietary toolkits. Of course you will be provided with continued follow-up consultation as needed.
Join a FREE DogSmith® Franchise Webinar or Telephone Consultation!
Schedule Your Personal Phone Consultation With The DogSmith Founder.
Join Our Free Webinar to Learn More
Let's get going, Click here and we will contact you within 24 hours to schedule your phone consultation
Click here to watch the short DogSmith webcast and learn more about The DogSmith business opportunity