Listen to a five minute podcast about DogSmith training services. At the DogSmith we believe a dog’s behavior results from three critical and key components.
- Daily Management of the dog and their environment.
- Training the dog so it can coexist peacefully with people in their home.
- A fabulous Relationship that an owner and their pet dog share.
This is our proprietary MTR system. It would be pointless to invest money in pet dog training classes with a pet dog if the dog is then left unsupervised to pick up bad habits from its environment (such as getting into the kitchen trash). Alternatively, it is not possible to train and manage a dog’s environment correctly if the relationship between dog and owner is lacking trust and mutual respect. Download your Free MTR Cards and see how much fun dog training can be.
At The DogSmith we have a selection of training options for you and your pet dog.
Ask yourself the following questions.
- Are you looking to attend group classes or are you looking for private in home training.
- Are you looking for help to educate and manage your puppy or build on existing skills for your mature dog or
- Does your dog have behavioral problems, is it scared, fearful, anxious or frustrated, If so then contact your DogSmith so you can schedule a behavior consultation.
The DogSmith training programs enhance and improve the relationship you share with your family pet. Our methods are grounded in science, lots of fun to use and do not need pain, fear or intimidation. At the DogSmith we believe that training should be fun, educational and it must enhance the relationships we have with our pets.
Thankfully our methods are also supported by the scientific community and the American College of Veterinary behaviorists and the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior. You can read their position statements here
So What Is The Difference?
- Dog Training is about building up new and appropriate skills and helping to reduce and eliminate problematic behaviors.
- Behavior Consultants address problem behaviors that are elicited through fear, anxiety or aggression.
In short a dog trainer teaches classes, day training and board and train programs and focuses primarily on obedience behaviors and manners. A dog behavior consultant does consultations, day training and board and train and focuses primarily on modifying behavior problems. Training and behavior programs differ in several ways and require different protocols and skills. In some cases your DogSmith will refer you to a Veterinary Behaviorist
You can schedule private training, enroll in a group class or if you are too busy, leave the training to us and schedule a “Board and Train” or “Latch Key Training” Program
Choose Dog Training if your dog
- Drags you on your daily walks
- Greets you like a linebacker,
- Mugs your guests
- Potties in your house
- Digs up your lawn
- Uses your furniture as a chew toy
- Needs to learn how to relax
- Has a general lack of training
Choose Behavior Counseling if your dog
- Growls at friends & family
- Protects its toys
- Is grumpy around other dogs
- Displays anxious behaviors
- Shows behavior you consider a concern to your family
- Is reactive on leash
- Is shy and anxious around people or dogs
The DogSmith dog training methods and philosophies are founded in the science of “Applied Behavior Analysis”. We work with each client to develop a training plan or behavior change program that meets their individual needs. The behavior change programs are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and have set timelines. Schedule a consultation with your local DogSmith so we can help you make the best decision for you and your pet.