The Dirty Secret Nobody in the Pet Industry Will Tell You When You Start Your Own Business!
History is full of great products and services that failed simply because the business wasn\’t operated profitably. To Run a Dog Training & Pet Care Business Successfully, You Need to Master Business Finances, Manage Employees & Learn How To Market and Deliver Your Dog Training & Pet Care Services to Attract and Retain Customers
Why would you consider joining the pet care industry, well because the industry is booming.
There are several key facts that we can detail about the pet industry.
- Americans spend a lot on their favorite animals. Business Week Magazine reports that 62 percent of US households own at least one pet.
- According to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA). There are more households with dogs but there are more cats in total.
- The consumer market for pets, including different services, care and products, exceeds 71 million US households. The pet industry has doubled from a decade ago, and is expected to keep growing.
- The APPMA reports that in 2009, US consumers spent $45.4 billion on pets. This is an increase from 2008\’s spending of $43.2 billion.
- People will spend about $2.2 billion to actually buy pets and then $3.4 billion on caring for them.
- According to the US Census Bureau, the average establishment in the pet industry is a small business providing pet services with nine or fewer employees.
- Because Americans love their pets and will continue to spend money for all types of services and products to make their dogs and cats happy and healthy, owning a pet care business is low risk.
Starting a business on your own as a sole trader or with no affiliation with a recognized brand can lead to a sharp learning curve and in some cases business failure. More small businesses succeed when they are supported through a franchise or licensing system. A successful small business needs to have competent skills across the key business dimensions, marketing, and finance and business operations.
If you are considering a release from corporate chains look for a company or an infrastructure that can offer you systems and processes to support your startup and your growth. Small businesses don\’t mean you have to be self employed. To create and maintain wealth and financial independence you need to develop a business model with employees so you have time to work on your business and not in your business.
There are so many benefits to working from home and operating your own business.
No more commuting. Choose when you schedule or set business appointments. You can work when your brain functions best. No more office politics. Make well-thought-out decisions without worrying about internal politics. Domestic chores and errands are easier since you can schedule appointments and tasks when everybody else is at work. Create a fun office environment. Get to do what you love each and every day. Spend more time with your family. Save money on corporate clothing, gas and car maintenance. You cannot be fired, the ultimate in job security.
If you make the right decision and explore all the small business startup options you will create a life with real freedom and financial independence. Visit The DogSmith website and read the FREE e-book about the top ten questions you must answer before you start your own pet care and dog training business.
About the Author
Niki achieved her Canine Behaviorist Diploma in England and Dog Obedience Training Diploma in the US. Niki is an Endorsed member of the National Association of Dog Obedience Trainers and a professional member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers and The Association of Animal Behavior Professionals.
Niki is also certified by the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers. You can reach Niki via email at NikiTudge@DogSmith.com or www.DogSmith.com