Ten Things To Know About The 'Aussie'
One of the reasons that dogs have been so successful on this plant is their variety. There is one for each of us. If all dogs were Whippets, sorry whippet lovers i would probably have retired from Hotel Management to become a Mini donkey trainer. Anyway, their is a breed and a look for us all. My breed of choice is the… Aussie. Not suited for everyone but in the right home, matched to the right owner they, in my humble opinion, are unmatched. What is your breed, what floats your boat?
1. Commonly referred to as the “Aussie”
2. Comes in a wide variety of coat colors: blue merle, red merle, black, red and can have a mixture of white and brown mixed in.
3. Some Aussie’s are born with a naturally short tail, though the tail is usually docked if longer than 4 inches.
4. Courageous, loyal, affectionate, lively, agile and highly intelligent are adjectives used to describe this breed.
5. Australian Shepherds require A LOT of exercise! Without enough mental and physical exercise the Aussie can become destructive when left alone.
6. This breed is not recommended if you live in an apartment. The Aussie needs a yard to run and play, or a daily trip to the beach or dog park to burn off energy.
7. The Australian Shepherd was bred in the United States to work as a herding dog on ranches.
8. Besides herding, the Aussie’s other talents include retrieving, guarding, search and rescue, and agility.
9. The Aussie requires moderate grooming to keep the undercoat under control. Popular hair cuts include shaving and puppy cuts.
10. Overall the Australian Shepherd is a great dog. Loyal, loving and good with kids, this breed thrives with lots of activity and exercise!